Advocacy Opportunities

Here are a few opportunities to make your voice heard! 

Public Comment on Proposed Regulation

For the past several years PAPRS has been collaborating with DHS - OMHSAS regarding the need to expand Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services to include youth and young adults.  A related Amendment to 55 Pa.Code Chapter 5230 is expected to be published soon.  When published "as proposed" there will be a thirty-day public comment period. 

PAPRS has developed a free training presentation on Public Comment & IRRC Testimony for our members on the regulatory development and public comment process.  Please take time to review the information in this presentation and be prepared to make a written public comment when the amendment is published. 

PA Medicaid State Plan

For many years, PAPRS has been advocating for Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services to be included in the Pennsylvania Medicaid State Plan.  Currently PRS remains a supplemental service, and as such is not required.   If PRS were to be included in the State Plan, the managed care plans would be required to offer choice of two facilities within the geo-access standards established in the HealthChoices program (within 30 minutes travel time in Urban areas; within 60 minutes travel time in Rural areas).  We are not expecting PRS to be included in the State Plan Amendment (SPA) under current review by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).  We are hopeful that PRS will be included in the proposed SPA for next year. Now is the time to start an advocacy campaign.  Please consider writing a letter to your PA Senator and/or Representative encouraging them to support the inclusion of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services in the Pennsylvania Medicaid State Plan in the coming year.  PAPRS is pleased to provide you with this letter template to get you started in your contribution to this important advocacy campaign.    Please follow the link provided, download the template and edit the template to fit your situation.          Letter template

To find your PA Representative or Senator go to  Find Your Legislator